[CLUE-Cert] [lynnd@techangle.com: Re: CLUE certification group meeting]

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Tue Jun 25 17:55:34 MDT 2002

----- Forwarded message from Lynn Danielson <lynnd at techangle.com> -----

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:47:48 -0600
From: Lynn Danielson <lynnd at techangle.com>
To: Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at attbi.com>
Subject: Re: CLUE certification group meeting

Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>On 06-23 11:46, Lynn Danielson wrote:
>> I updated the cert group meeting web page.  I put down the
>> topic as labs 4 and 12.  Please let me know if you'd like this
>> changed before the end of the week.
>>
>Sounds good. We may have already done 12, but I'm not sure, so if we do it
>again, that's fine by me, since I've obviously fuzzy on the details. Just so
>you know, I'm not married to any of these labs - I just wanted to do ones
>that looked like we could do (i.e., don't need a modem) and aren't a re-hash
>of stuff we already know(i.e., using ftp).
>
>Others of possible interest: Lab 6, Lab 11, Lab 13, Lab 15...as always, it's
>probably best to play it by ear and follow the interests of the group.
>Sometimes those tangents are where I pick up some of the coolest stuff. :)

Yes, I agree.  We seem to be letting tangents take over the meetings more
and more.  Maybe that's ok, but then perhaps we should change the name of
our group to simply be a CLUE study group instead of a certification group.
I'm as guilty of this digression as much as anyone and mainly because I
haven't been staying on top of the material in the certification study guide.

I'm CC'ing this to CLUE-Cert list for further discussion.  The question in
my mind is where do we want to go from here?

There's still a fair bit of stuff to cover in the Networking book, but I
know Jef would like to move on to security topics.

There are a few things I'd like to cover before we move on.  One is setting
up a NIS master server (and possibly a slave).  Another is setting up a DNS
server.  I'd also like to discuss the networking commands that we (as a
group)
feel are essential.  The top ten or twenty perhaps?

Samba is something that's covered in the Sair Network materials.  I'm
pretty familiar with that already, but I'd be willing to help go over it
if the rest of the group is interested.  Comments?

Would anyone be interested in working through more of the labs in the
Networking guide?  Sean's mentioned a few.  Anyone else?

At one point we had talked about staying with certification, but switching
over to the LPI program.  How does everyone feel about this now?  Should
we forge ahead with material in the Sair Security study guide or review
LPI materials for a while?

Please let me know what you guys want to do.

Lynn