[CLUE-Cert] (no subject)

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Mar 8 16:44:12 MST 2002

Jef Barnhart wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I was talking about compile time optimizations here is an article showing the stuff. This is the cool stuff that you can do when you are installing distros such as LFS or Gentoo. I have tried some of the optimizations to some success.
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=5886

Perhaps I should read the book they reference as I've been looking for a good description of what the optimizations do (the gcc docs are not good, IMO--but I'm not a compiler writer).  For example, why the difference between -O9 for i686
and -O3 for i586?  How do you know whether you have a 686 or a 586?  gcc 3 has a athlon march and mcpu, but gcc 2 does not.  So for an athlon, is i686 better, or is k7?  I don't know.  This is pretty arcane, so I'm not sure anyone knows.

Also, when doing LFS, I had some stability problems with optimizations.  IIRC, it was doing -O3 on the kernel.  I think the kernel make files set -O2, and make it hard to change which is a good thing.

Dave