[CLUE-Cert] new laptop

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Wed Oct 22 06:35:36 MDT 2003

My new HP laptop arrived.  It looks much nicer than my old Toshiba. :)

I installed Suse on it.  I would have used Debian but right now I don't have a
current version.  I can see why Lynn like Suse so much.  YAST now looks very
polished and it's easy to just use the defaults or to customize installation.
It includes options for RAID LV<, and using encryption on filesystems.

A few things aren't right yet and I need to play with it and tweak it.  It's
not running at full resolution on the screen (1400 x 1048? on a 15" display)
for some reason.  It apparently did not detect the built-in modem (no surprise
there).  I don't know about sound yet.  USB should work.  I assume Firewire
will work too.  And I need to download a program to take advantage of 5 extra
keys.

The 60GB drive gave me enough room for an LFS development partition,
and /usr/local and /home partitions.  I will probably replace Suse with a
stable LFS setup.  /home and /usr/local will be shared between both.