[CLUE-Cert] On PVRs and TiVOs home made units

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Fri Jun 4 10:49:57 MDT 2004

I noticed that Hauppauge (hope I spelled it right) has a MediaMVP unit that
sends the signal via LAN to the TV.  Has anyone tried one of these by chance in
their quest for the PVR/TiVO thread a while back?  Comments, thoughts, etc.?

URLs:
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_mediamvp.html (base model)
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvrusb2.html (USB added version)

Another unit I noticed, MSI has the Mega series out, 180 (AMD based, "blue box")
and 865 (Intel based, "red box").  The 180 has the MSI Mega TV Tuner built into
the unit (one pro there) vs. the 865 you have to add one.  Both have all the
other bells and whistles, including 802.11b WiFi.  Seems all you need to add are
the CPU, RAM, DVD, video capture card, and hard drive of choice (plus TV out for
the "red box").  Downside, they look like they go for $350 base when I searched
around Yahoo for retails of these.  Seem like a nice all in one unit though I
must admit.

URLs:
"red box", 865
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=MEGA_865&class=mega

"blue box", 180
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=MEGA_180&class=mega

Just gathering input from the crowd.  TIA.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
P.M.B. 146
368 South McCaslin Boulevard
Louisville, CO 80027 USA
+1 (303) 604-2550 (voice)
+1 (866) 604-2550 (toll free within the US)
+1 (303) 664-0036 (fax)
http://www.linux-etc.biz