[clue-cert] udev and LFS/DIY Linux

Dennis J Perkins dperkins at techangle.com
Fri Apr 1 23:41:46 MST 2005

I finally tracked down the problem with X11 and udev.  X couldn't find
the mouse and was crashing.  It turns out that this also locks up the
computer, forcing a reboot.

There are two solutions:
1. Add a SYMLINK option to the mouse line in one of the udev rule files
in /etc/udev/rules.d.  This will build the mouse symlink when udev
starts.

2. Change the device for the mouse to be /dev/input/mice, instead of
using the symlink /dev/mouse, in XF86Config.  (I don't know what the
difference between mice and mouse0 is.)

Udev seems to be a good replacement for the static device nodes and
devfs.  I think Fedora core is using udev, but I don't know how many
other distros are using it.