[clue-cert] awk book

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sat Aug 13 10:06:36 MDT 2005

On 07-31 20:43, Dennis J Perkins wrote:

* Snip! *

> I did two serious Python programs to check for configuration errors in
> our CEM systems.  I liked Python, nice and clean.  Now I want to try
> something in Ruby, which is more object oriented and has some
> interesting features.

Lots of buzz about Ruby over in Java-land due to the Ruby-on-Rails project.
At least one project popped up to emulate it (Trails - get it? Rails to
Trails? ). Also I think Paul Graham said it was one language that's getting
to close to catching up with his favorite language, Lisp, and even though
Hani biled the guy
(http://www.jroller.com/page/fate/?anchor=is_paul_graham_stupider_than), I
find Graham to say things that tend to be thoughtful and intelligent, even
if I don't always agree. Besides, I think Hani's biles tend to be about 80%
tongue in cheek.

Anyhow, thought you might like this. It's Ten Things a Java Programmer
Should Know About Ruby. Even if you aren't all that familiar with Java, it
may be interesting to you...
http://onestepback.org/articles/10things/

There was feedback I found here:
http://jimweirich.tadalist.com/lists/public/14055

The only problem with new languages is that even if it was 10x the
productivity for the average developer, most PHB's would put the brakes on
using it since it's not .NET and it's not Java/J2EE. I say "new" even though
I know Ruby's been around for a few years - but I bet you that about 0.0001%
of managers have heard of Ruby.

The best Java developers can hope for is that Java gets a shot in the arm
over Ruby much like it did from .NET.  Because of people carping about .NET
leap-frogging Java in some aspects, Sun added generics (like C++ templates)
autoboxing, and printf-like functionality in Java 1.5. Interestingly, I've
seen folks blog that .NET usage has dropped off since, based on book sales,
if that's at all scientific:

http://gregluck.com/blog/archives/2005/08/oscon2005_ruby.html

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
...one can imagine the government's problem. This is all pretty magical stuff
to them. If I were trying to terminate the operations of a witch coven, I'd
probably seize everything in sight. How would I tell the ordinary household
brooms from the getaway vehicles?
-John Perry Barlow
(contributed by Chris Johnston)