[clue-cert] awk book

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Aug 15 22:12:11 MDT 2005

Sean LeBlanc wrote:
[...]
> Total agreement here. Use what makes sense. The more tools in your belt, the
> better off you are. I agree with what Kevin Cullis was saying over on
> clue-talk on regarding OS's. Use MS/Linux/OSX/etc when it makes sense - they
> are just tools. The decision to use MS will most likely be driven by
> business/political needs rather than technical ones, of course... ;)

Interesting, I don't follow Talk lately.  Naturally you'd get an
argument from RMS and I think I'd take his view (which still surprises
me when I realize it).

To me, there are some jobs that are not worth doing and some tools that
are not worth using.  By that I mean we should have more respect for
ourselves than to use those tools.  If we only choose tools based on
business/political/technical needs, what about freedom?

Kevin's argument (whether technical needs are considered or not) sounds
like corporate behavior--people are better than that.  Bruce Perens said
when he was here that corporations have no morals.

Nothing against Kevin--I respect him and didn't read his statements so
I'm just responding to the paragraph above, not anything Kevin said.

Ha.  Bet you didn't expect some right-wing fanatic raving lunatic
response to your post, did you?

> Which comes back around to Graham. Did you see this?
>
> http://www.paulgraham.com/opensource.html

Thanks for this!  I'll read it soon, and use the server line at work
tomorrow ;-)

Dave