[clue-cert] new laptop

dperkins at frii.com dperkins at frii.com
Mon Jun 26 07:27:22 MDT 2006

I have Suse 10.0 running on the new laptop.  The builtin Ethernet and
Intel wireless card that I installed are not recognized.  I'm surprised
that the builtin Ethernet is not recognized, but the chip appears to be
made by Agere.  I've never heard of them before.  I wonder if they are
refusing to release specs on the chip?  The wireless smartcard from my old
laptop is recognized by Suse, so I can still connect to the Internet.

There were problems getting X to work with the Radeon X700.  I finally
found that adding Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,CRT" to xorg.conf fixed
that on Suse, but not on Fedora 4.  I'm not certain what this does,
however.  Gnome at 1680x1024 resolution looks very nice.

I plan to start building LFS on it this week.

I'll bring the laptop to tomorrow's meeting.