[clue-cert] LPIC-1 SG: Virtualization, why?

Wed Mar 11 16:53:35 MDT 2009

Why do I recommend that you use virtualization?

I supposed that some of you might need (or want) to use (and keep) Windows as the primary OS on your study box.  You have my sympathy.  Virtualization will allow you to run a couple Linux boxes on your Windows box, or a couple ~more~ Linux boxes on your Linux box.

One of the fundamental differences between Linux distributions is the package management systems they use.  There are two: rpm/yum and dpkg/apt.  You can't really run both on the same box, that I am aware of, and you want to be familiar with both for the exam.

It's easier to play with network stuph when you have two boxes.

It's easier to play with partitioning, filesystems, RAID, and what-all on a beater box.

Why did I recommend VMware?

Mostly because it's what I use.  I was unaware that there were other good choices that work on Linux and Windows. Since then, I've been re-educated.  The product that was recommended to me was VirtualBox.  Limitations of time will probably force me to use what I have for a while, but I'll be trying it out, it's here:  Check out http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
MCT, MCSE, Linux+
tel://720.333.LANS
Freeing people from the tyranny (or whatevery) of Microsoft, one at a time.