[clue-members] Merry Christmas and news about members benefits

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 20:37:05 MST 2004

I hope you are all having a Happy Christmas.

As you may or may not know, we are still in the process of restoring
full functionality to the CLUE site after the recent demise due to a
rootkit. Members (those of us who coughed up $20 bucks) are provided a
restricted shell userid, space for your own web site, and an alias for
email, etc. I will be reconstructing these functions from scratch.
There do not appear to be many of you who have made any modifications
to your user space. If any of you believe that you have lost any data,
please let me know. Here's what will happen:

1. Each of you will receive a userid (format: initial[s]plus last
name) and a login shell restricted to /bin/rbash with disk space in
/home/userid. Your userid will be in group 'members', and the
/home/userid directory will have permissions drwxr-xr-x, i.e. readonly
to members and world. If you want to be secretive, create your files
with more restrictive permissions.  Your old id may have been named
differently, but we will use a standard userid from this point on.
Note: those of you who are admins already have unrestricted userids on
the new system; you need not be concerned with this.

2. I will create an initial password and mail the password to you at
your registered external email address. If your external email address
has changed or you didn't supply one, please let me know.

3. When you receive your confirmation email, you may access your
userid is via 'ssh userid at clue.denver.co.us'. Please login and change
your password.

4, I will establish an alias for each user consisting of
'firstname.lastname'. If you want (an) additional alias(es), let me
know.

5. A default webpage (~/public_html/index.html) will be created in
your website; you can modify it as desired. There have been questions
about the use of pictures in the webpage. We still have the pictures
that Lynn took, but some of you do not want your picture used. I will
not connect pictures to any of the webpages. If you want your picture
included, let me know and I will restore that from the old disk.

6. At a later date, we hope to provide the ability to upload pictures, etc.

7. If you have any questions or suggestions, let me (or Jed) know.

And a happy New Year to one and all.

--
 Collins Richey (Membership Coordinator)