[CLUE-Talk] Newbie looking for Linux (Mandrake?) help

Jim Hodgers alfiesty at alfiesty.com
Thu Jul 17 16:03:29 MDT 1997

I need help!!

I am a relative newcomer to Linux. I live in Buena Vista, Colorado, and there
are no Linux guru's around to help me. I am a Visual Basic programmer who
wanted to see what the "buzz" about Linux was about. I made another system as
follows:
Asus P5 with K6-2 350 and 64Megs
6.4 G Hard drive
40X CDROM
3.5" floppy
External Modem

I got disks for Mandrake 7.2 and started to install.The first CDROM installed
fine but when it asked for the second disk, it would not recognise it. The
install finished just fine without the second disk and everything seems to
work, including  DUN and sound. However I can't access the CD. I would get
suggestion on the Mandrake user site, I changed the fstab from
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
and when I try to mount with "mount /mnt/cdom" I get
"/dev/cdrom is not a block device".
CD Player indicates the disk is ejected all the time. I know the drive works
because I installed Linux from it!!

I could sure use some knowledgeable advise!!

Jim (Wish you guys were closer) Hodgers