[CLUE-Talk] Software quality

John Kottal jlkottal at americanisp.net
Mon Dec 11 07:00:29 MST 2000

> Here is a big fact for you. In order to do ANY business with the government now
> you have to be SEI/CMM Level 5 certified. If your [sic] not -- to [sic] bad --
> no government contracts for you.

Are you sure it's not Level 3 for government work?

There were only two or three shops in the world that were considered Level 5 as
recent as 3 years ago (one in NASA dealing with shuttle flight software and one
dealing with electric power plant operation --- and maybe one other --- in India).

You had then to be Level 3 to get government work; most shops considered Level 2
struggling to find Level 3. I find it hard to believe that EVERY shop in the
country could go from Level 3 to Level 5 in three years, given the extremely
stringent requirements for Level 5.

JohnK