[clue-talk] what a pretty site

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Fri Jun 2 14:05:25 MDT 2000

On Fri, 02 Jun 2000, Matt Durell wrote:

> If you want help (physically), let me know.  NIS can be a challenge.

I have two machines right here networked, ready to go.  I'm going to
try one more time to do it "by the book" on these systems here at home.
If I can get it done here, then I can do it in the school lab.  I've been
surprised at the lack of what I consider a straightforward HOWTO for
this.  Running Mandrake/Red Hat, hasn't this already been done by
thousands of people with this distro?

> The printers are *WAY* to easy.

Printers attached to machines have been easy, but we are not using Samba
or in any way impacting any of the schools existing machines, so we can
either use our own dedicated printer (which we don't have, unless you consider
a HP Laserjet IIp acceptable in a lab where every student prints in the last
minute of the class period), or we can use the HP whatever that sits on the
network with it;s own IP address.  I can telnet to it; I just can't get it to
print.  Well, that's not exactly true.  If it prints for us, it no longer will
print for any of the Windows machines on the network.  Regardless of how
I feel about that outcome, the other teachers are not happy.

So if there is a way to make this happen, I'd sure like a URL or some hint
as to what to do.  Do you recomment magicfilter? apsfilter? printtool?

> Have you considered your own nameserver with all of those systems or does
> the school provide one that you can request changes be made?

The district nameserver on the school network is in some unknown place
managed by some unknown person.  What I've done in just build a 30 line
/etc/hosts file since all addresses are static in the block reserved for the
lab.  When they go out on the Internet, the district nameserver kicks in.
I'm not savvy enough to know if I'm missing something by doing it this way.

 --
Roger Frank
Mathematics/Computer Science Teacher