[CLUE-Talk] pardon the interrupt

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Sat Oct 14 09:02:35 MDT 2000

When trying to push this machine to its limits, sharing IRQs
gets to be a problem.  It would be so nice to be able to have
the sound card have its IRQ different from the video and the
Ethernet and all the other devices.  I'm thinking that there is
a way to hard-code the IRQs that go with the PCI slots.  If
I let it autoassign, I get a couple devices on IRQ9 and such
and others seems empty and available.  I've checked the
motherboard documents and it says don't do this unless you
know what you are doing, but it doesn't tell you how either.
The usual google search was not enlightening.

When I'm playing an mp3, if I also hit the system hard with
an open-GL spectrum analyzer and have a large file
moving across the (100mb) Ethernet, the sound garbles.
Not a show-stopper, but I'm thinking its IRQ negotiaton.

I wonder if the ($) OSS drivers would handle this better than
the stuff bundled with the distros.  Or has anyone used ALSA
for sound and can recommend it?

--
Roger Frank
Ponderosa High School, Colorado