[CLUE-Talk] test message -- please ignore

Lynn Danielson lynnd at ihs.com
Wed Oct 25 09:33:22 MDT 2000

test message from ihs

From: "Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>
To: clue-talk at ta8.techangle.com
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:27:02 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: [CLUE-Talk] Re: CLUE-Talk: [Fwd: AOL (ugh) Instant Messaging]
Sender: clue-talk-admin at clue.denver.co.us

Thus spoke Lynn Danielson
> Steve Ekwall wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > just a quick question (newbie here - haven't checked the archives)
> >
> >  I just read in the Rocky Mountain News (sept 19, 00, pg38A/_39A_):
> >
> > "..In fact, some users of Linux, a free operating system that competes
> > with Microsoft Windows, say they currently are able to send instant
> > messages to AOL users.  AOL didn't respond to queries about the Linux
> > users' claims. <br>

This is true these days, as AOL has released their own AOL Instant
Messenger for Linux product (downloadable for free).

> >   In September 1998, AOL posted on the Web its technical
> > specifications for how to write a Linux program that works with
> > AOL's message system. AOL ~removed~ the posting in July 1999, when
> > the battle over instant messaging began to heat up.  AOL says it
> > took it down because it was being used commercially instead of by
> > computer hobbyists......."
> > <END quote>
> >
> > Question is this still available?  .. is it under some prog. name on
> > my current Caldera Linux 2.3 CD files?  or RedHat 6.1 ??

gaim was one such program.  I think there was another as well.  But unless
you really want source code, you could just get the AOL version.  It seems
to work just fine (though I'm not a heavy AIM user).

More info (I think) is at http://www.aol.com/aim.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com