[CLUE-Talk] Review of The CLIQ

Kirk Rafferty kirk at rafferty.org
Fri Apr 13 13:49:34 MDT 2001

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 12:52:57PM -0600, John Kottal wrote:
> A review of The CLIQ, gleaned from the Boulder LUG mailing list:
> http://www.montanalinux.org/article.php?sid=183&mode=nested&order=0

A nice writeup, and not the first time I've heard that the keynote was
disappointing.  For the keynote speaker at a Linux event to use NT (even
though Powerpoint supposedly "rocks") shows a fundamental lack of
understanding of what this conference was all about.  I'm sure Mr. Sifry
meant no disrespect, but this wasn't the right time and place to show
Linux's supposed lack of applications off.  I wonder how many middle
managers went back to work, more secure in their opinions that Linux just
isn't ready yet.

I too was disappointed at the low turnout.  I hope the CLIQ organizers were
able to find other ways to shore up the loss they took, but I understand
it was around a $10k loss.  Ouch.

I hope CLIQ happens next year.  I know it's looking bleak, but Colorado
needs these kinds of shows.  There are a lot of IT people here that just
can't make the big shows on the coasts. But they are making technology
decisions here in Colorado.  It's important that these people can congregate
and see that Linux continues to evolve and solve problems in an efficient,
flexible, and inexpensive way.  It's also important that Linux maintain
visibility in Colorado.

I really enjoyed my time at CLIQ.  I got to put a lot of faces to people
I'd only corresponded with in email.  I met a lot of new people I'd never
met before, learned a lot, and had an overall good time.  I hope CLIQ doesn't
end before it's time.  It's just too valuable.

-k