[CLUE-Talk] RedHat 7.1

Jim Intriglia jimintriglia at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 17:24:05 MDT 2001

>From: Match Grun <match at dimensional.com>
>To: clue-talk <clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us>
>Subject: [CLUE-Talk] RedHat 7.1
>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:58:45 -0600
>
>Found this one on Slashdot today.
>
>	http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/04/16/1352255&mode=thread
>
>I have been using the RedHat 7.1 beta for a couple of weeks now,
>with the 2.4 kernel and XFree4.0. Works great. What I like...
>There is no telnet daemon. Openssh is installed by default.
>
>Match

Further down that /. post is a reply from RH staffer re: the kgcc compiler
not being needed anymore to recompile the kernel.We shall see.

Maybe SCSI devices will be modular (kernel support) by default, so (some)
CD-R/W drives will work after an upgrade to V7.1 from V6.2/7.0. (My stupid
Travan tape drives are *still* flakey; SCSI works somewhat and the IDE
controller-based one does not work at all under V7.0).

Like CD-ROMS better for backup anywho...

Thought V7.0 release also featured XFree 4.0??

Will wait for the security/bug fix reports to roll in before I upgrade ;-)
Will test the recompile thingy on my test machine, though...

-Jim