[CLUE-Talk] Sun, Linux offer help in MS-kids PC flap

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Thu Aug 9 11:53:24 MDT 2001

Unfortunately, Microsoft /does/ get it.  They understand that the public,
although outraged at actions like this, is not incensed enough to stop
buying their products.  Until the attitude of "hey, I hate Microsoft too,
but I need Office/Outlook/Powerpoint/etc to do my job" goes away,
Microsoft has absolutely no reason to stop bullying and spreading FUD.
To paraphrase Ma Bell, "We don't have to care, we're Microsoft!"

And as long as Microsoft is allowed to continue their Monopolistic
actions (how long has the DoJ thing been going on now?), there really is
no end in sight.  In fact, I suspect that even after a verdict is delivered,
and all appeals are exhausted, they'll just keep up what they're doing.
They'll be fined, they'll appeal.  They'll win some appeals, and lose some
appeals.  They'll exploit every loophole in a verdict or settlement they
can.  They're a juggernaut, and will be able to keep it up for years, while
company after company goes the way of Netscape.

I hope installing Linux and StarOffice on these old PCs helps gain
exposure for alternative operating systems and applications.  But where
the real gains need to be made is in attitudes.  Everyone you talk to is
going to express outrage that M$ is bullying charities, but they'll
most likely express that outrage through an email composed with Outlook.

-k