[CLUE-Talk] Happy Birthday linux

Charlie Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Fri Aug 24 19:12:08 MDT 2001

mind fact checking me here?  This is going into a newsletter shortly.  I
don't think I got anything wrong:

Happy Birthday Linux

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer earlier this summer referred to linux as "a
cancer".  Shows what he knows.  Linux was born on Aug. 25, 1991, which
would make it a Virgo.

That's right.  Ten years ago, a then little known student at the
University of Helsinki, Linus Torvalds, posted his now famous message on
the comp.os.minix Usenet news group:

"Hello everybody out there using minix -

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since April, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things). I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and
things seem to work. This implies that I'll get something practical
within a few months, and I'd like to know what features most people
would want. Any suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll
implement them :-)

Linus (torvalds at kruuna.helsinki.fi)

PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT portable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have
:-(."

	Many linux advocates point to that post as the beginning of linux.
Some point to September of that year, when release 0.01 was made
available in an ftp directory.  Linus apparently sides with a date of
October 5 (making linux a Libra, but still not a Cancer) when he says
"Then, October 5th, I seem to have released 0.02. As I already
mentioned, 0.01 didn't actually come with any binaries: it was just
source code for people interested in what linux looked like. Note the
lack of announcement for 0.01: I wasn't too proud of it, so I think I
only sent a note to everybody who had shown interest."

As with many open source projects, it quickly grew beyond the
expectations of its original developer.  I found one Usenet post from
Jyrki Kuoppala which showed up within hours of Linus's Aug. 25
announcement, proposing to port the OS to Amiga. So much for Linus's
stated intention of limiting this OS to 386 AT clones.
	And the rest, as they say, is history.  Linux continues to grow in
popularity around the world.  User Groups abound in every major city.
In Denver, Colorado Linux Users and Enthusiasts (CLUE) hold monthly
meetings and are planning an install-fest for this September 15 (details
at <http://clue.denver.co.us/>) where experts will help install linux on
your own machines, or tune an existing implementation (I have an
annoying display problem I'm hoping for help on).  Businesses are moving
to linux for servers (Apache, which runs on linux, has over twice the
installed base of Microsoft's web server) and desk tops.  I'm writing
this article using Sun's Star Office 5.2 instead of Microsoft Word, on a
machine using the Mandrake 8.0 release of linux.
	So, it doesn't matter whether we officially celebrate linux's birthday
on August 25, October 5, or somewhere in between (I'll celebrate both).
A revolution started with a Usenet post ten years ago this August.
Happy birthday, linux.