[CLUE-Talk] Upgrading a newer system with a current one

David Anselmi anselmi at intradenver.net
Mon Aug 27 13:15:08 MDT 2001

JL Kottal wrote:

> What I would like to do somehow is to copy the customized system onto
> the newer computer, so that I can begin using  it and get rid of the
> old one.

Tar up the custom system and transfer the file over the network.  Then
untar on the faster machine.  You will have to double check the tar
commands to make sure you preserve file permissions, and you may want to
do some shell magic to prevent tarring things like /proc and /dev (well,
/dev may be ok to move this way).

If you have multiple partitions in the custom install, you may want to
move them as separate tar files and untar them to similar partitions in
the fast machine.  If you aren't sure how to manipulate your partitions to
wind up with the final configuration you want, tell us what you want and
what you have on the fast machine and we can provide more detail.

You can move the tar file on zip disks or via parallel port, but network
is the easiest unless you are missing cables or something.

You can also move the hard drive, partition and copy to it as desired, and
put it back.

In either case (tar file or moving the disk) you will have to run lilo
before you can boot the new custom install.  If you move the disk, lilo
will be a little trickier than otherwise.  Again, if you want more detail,
ask.

You may also get tripped up if the hardware on the two machines is
significantly different.  For example, the network card drivers are part
of the kernel, and the accelerated video drivers are part of the X server,
so if you have custom compiled those you may have to reconfigure some
things for the new hardware.

Dave