[CLUE-Talk] Multi-head

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Dec 7 09:34:56 MST 2001

David Willson wrote:

>  Where should I start, in an attempt to enable the mult-monitor
> feature of my video card under Linux?  It works in Windows 98 SE, but
> not in Windows 2000, and not, so far, in Linux.  I am referring to
> having a display on my IBM Thinkpad A21m laptop's screen and a second
> display running out of the VGA port to a CRT.  I can get the same
> picture on both displays, but that's not what I'm talking about, of
> course...Anyone got a clue for me?

You're saying that this is a laptop, and you want to see different
displays on its lcd screen and a monitor connected to the video port?
Didn't know they could do that - most show the same thing both places.
How do you move the mouse from one to the other?

Anyway, if that's really what you want, look for xinerama.  That's the X
multi-head stuff.  I hear that it works well/easily, but I've never used
it.  It may or may not support your particular card (more typical is to
have 2 cards installed, I think).

Dave