[CLUE-Talk] Recovering from loss of /boot directory on Slackware

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Dec 18 22:17:47 MST 2001

I just did this last week, on accident.  Go figure.  I thought it was
bad, but it turned out to be no big deal.  I didn't even have to go to
backups.  Most those file were included in the LILO deb for Debian.
If you use RPMs, hopefully it is the same way.  So reinstall lilo from
RPM or deb.  Then get the System.Map, config, and bzImage from your
kernel source tree.  Then rerun lilo, it will recreate a couple of files
(chain.b was it?)  I don't think you actually need the os2_d.b.  The
only really one that can't be recovered is the boot.0300.  That is a
back up of your boot sector before lilo ran, in case you wanted to
restore it later.  For me, that was useless.  But if that wasn't backed
up, you can't get it back.

HTH

Tim