[CLUE-Talk] How to do a multiple file download

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Fri Dec 21 10:51:00 MST 2001

On 12-21 09:51, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> Thus spoke BOF
> > How can I do a multiple file download?
>
> gftp is a GTK+ program that allows selection of multiple files for
> download.  I'm not big on GUI programs for things like ftp, but this one is
> rather nice.

Speaking of GUI ftp clients, I noticed something yesterday that has been
nagging me ever since. A friend of mine set up an ftp site for us to
exchange some files on. It's a W2K machine. Commandline ftp works fine from
my FreeBSD machine, but mget'ing is annoying when you have to be around to
answer 'y' for every file...so I looked into some GUI clients. For some
reason the gftp port wasn't building, so I tried xrmftp. I can login with
this, but I get an error:

[...]
SYST
215 Windows_NT version 5.0
CWD /
250 CWD command successful.
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
PORT 192,168,0,x,4,249
500 Invalid PORT Command.

(The x up above is actually not an x, it's a number)

When I turn on passive mode, I get no error, but still no directory listing
when I log on. So I try out another client: axyftp. It works fine.

BTW, on an ftp server like ftp.freebsd.org, the first
ftp client (xrmftp) worked fine.

Any idea what is going on here? Is the windows ftp server expecting
something that xrmftp doesn't implement? I remember seeing the same error
sometimes from IE browser I think connecting to some ftp sites when on Win32
machines...is the ftp protocol being embraced and extended here?

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome