[CLUE-Talk] Sites with longest running systems by last uptime

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sun Feb 18 08:39:07 MST 2001

bill ehlert wrote:

> --- Kevin Cullis <kevincu at orci.com> wrote:
> > This outta be talked about ALL OVER!!! Not ONE
> > Microsoft product in the
> > bunch!!!
> >
> > Kevin
> >

> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html
>
> **  uh  ...  yeah  ...  but there's also no
>     "Linux" in the os column.  sure is a lot
>     of "freebsd" though  ...

Oh true, but don't look at it as though it's bad.  If Linux is NOT in to
top, the question is why?  What technology/module/etc is causing Linux
to NOT be in those positions?  The idea is that there is room for
improvement to reach that benchmark of uptime and the question is: what
is needed to get there?

But back to the first comment, I think it's absolutely great that NO
Microsoft products are on there.  In fact, looking at the web site, NT
CAN NOT have it's uptime determined/measured.  That's a Quality of
Service issue which needs to be championed within the Linux community.

Does this help?  Think outside the box a little and you can find
opportunities for improvement of Linux AND find ways of selling Linux to
PHB's who might not understand the technical issues.

Hope I'm clear enough.

Kevin