[CLUE-Talk] Introduction to Computer Science Course

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 21:26:01 MST 2001

My thoughts on things to teach.

understanding how a computer works, what an OS is (and show them all
MS, LInux, Mac) what an application is, future trends (web based apps,
etc).  An overview of how the internet works, embedded devices.
Perhaps more important, troubleshooting, I'm not talking about ping,
ifconfig etc, but the basic methodology.  Ie, define the problem.  what
exactly was it doing, when did it stop doing it, what else is having
the problem, what isn't having the problem....  I just finished a short
class on network troubleshooting, leaving out the network stuff and
just looking at the methodology would be quite useful, let me know if
you want a copy of the info.

I think what you should do is look around at people you deal with and
ask yourself, what do I wish they'd learned in school.

I'll let you know if I think of more.

Brandon