[CLUE-Talk] Quality comments

Lynn Danielson Lynn.Danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Wed Jan 3 09:38:57 MST 2001

Grant Johnson wrote:
> > > counter-productive.  I was in a CMM level 3 organization.  In order to
> > > achieve this level, a full 1/4 of the staff did nothing but administer the
> > > program, and the other 3/4 were micro-managed into hating their lives and
> >
> >Yes, even I hate it when someone finds my mistakes, and depending on how
> >they approach me, I'll either hit them with the nerf arrows for pointing
>
> It isn't the pointing out of mistakes.  It is the paper trail and jumping
> through hoops that takes so much more time that doing the job that you no
> longer have time to do the job right.

It's a given that most of us are interested in computing -- not
documentation and accounting.  While I can intellectually see the value
of a quality system, I have yet to see one that gave me a warm fuzzy.
"Ooooh, I just love this quality system it makes my like my job so much
better" is not the type of comment I've ever heard from anyone who's been
subjected to one.  The extent to which a quality program can be minimally
intrusive and low maintenance will be directly related to its acceptance
and success.  From my experience and others, most quality control systems
fail miserably at this.

Lynn Danielson