[CLUE-Talk] This close to moving to Slackware, Jeff

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Wed Jan 17 22:05:46 MST 2001

On Wednesday 17 January 2001 08:55, Kevin wrote:
> I was talking with a gentleman yesterday and he told me about
> Slackware.  I'm about this close, |  |, to move to it and dump SuSe.
> Any comments?

I've tried just about every distribution, including Slackware.  A recent
CLUE talk started me thinking about the Debian distribution.  I
tried to install it many many times, and it was never even close to
being as easy as Mandrake.  But each time I went through it and
tried some other path or feature, I learned something new.

There were some fundamental things that I liked a lot about Debian,
so I kept exploring the distribution on a spare machine.  I found
myself spending more and more time on that machine discovering
and learning and less time on my (Mandrake) production machine.
My comfort with Gnome/Sawfish and confidence in the stability of
Debian make that a comfortable computing environment.

When my students ask "which distro?", for them I'll still say
Mandrake 7.2.  But I'm converting my own machines to Debian
now that I'm finally over at least the steepest part of the learning
curve.   What will I use in the lab at school?  For the rest of this
year it will stay Mandrake, but the apt-get feature of Debian
over a newtork and the fact that we couldn't afford CD ROMs
for any of the machines pretty much assures that one of my
summer projects will be to roll Debian onto those machines also.

I'm not promoting Debian.  It's right for me because I want to learn
and not be primarily a user.  I'm not promoting Mandrake, but
it is good for the newbie, so that one is right for them.   I'm sure
if you are "this close to moving to Slackware" that you've
decided it works best for you.   Go for it!

--
Roger Frank
Ponderosa High School, Colorado