[CLUE-Talk] Slackware and truly knowing Linux

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 09:17:22 MST 2001

> Yea, I know, but I gotta get more into my system ;-), I'm getting the
> hankering for more POWER!! Bwahahahah!!!
>

> > To upgrade to a new version I think you still pretty much have to
> > start from scratch.  You have to carry over any data and
> configuration
> > files from your previous version.  Maybe this has changed with
> recent
> > versions.
>
> Jeff, any comments?
I don't think this is an issue, in addition to thier stable version,
slackware maintains slackware-current, which is the one they are
building, I just keep an eye on the packages (using autoslack or
something) and gradually upgrade as new stuff comes out.

> > Slackware also doesn't use an administration tool like SuSE's.
> Yast
> > with a minimal amount of information will tweak all of your
> necessary
> > configuration files.  If you, like Jeff, believe that automated
> > configuration tools are for the weak and timid ;-) and that real
> Linux
> > users should learn which configuration files they need to edit, by
> all
> > means use Slackware.  It will force you to learn.  You could
> install
> > webmin or linuxconf.
> >
> > I also dislike it's BSD style runlevel scripts.
>
> Why?
BSD style runlevel scripts give you much less control over individual
applications, you frequently have to edit the script in order to
disable a service.

> > If I may ask, in what ways have you been dissapointed with SuSE
> > that you're considering Slackware?  If you become a convert, keep
> > us posted.
>
> While I'm not truly disappointed with SuSe, I was just looking at a
> trimmed down, svelt Linux version compared with everything which has
> been loaded on my current machine, i.e. I wish I knew what each
> package
> was and whether I need to for an average workstation, that'll take me
> some time.
If you truly want to know what every little program on your system does
and how they interact, install Linux from scratch.  While I don't think
it's practical for functional or several systems (it takes too long to
install) it's a great learning tool for how everything is put together.

www.linuxfromscratch.com