[CLUE-Talk] Hack Attempt

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Fri Jan 26 02:14:48 MST 2001

> 1) What's available for Linux along the same lines as ZoneAlert; and,
> 2) With a dialup connection via Earthlink, what are the odds of someone
> trying to hack by Linux box?

I am currently running tripwire (http://www.tripwire.com/) to watch all my
pertinent configuration files and I use ipchains firewalling to turn off
all the ports that I don't plan on using on a regular basis. Another good
idea is to is xinetd, it allows for extremely granular configuration of
access to the different services that you would offer to the
world/network.

The chances that someone would try and hack your box on a dial up
connection are very, very low. You are awarded a dynamic IP address every
time you dial up, so unless you stay connected for days you should be very
random in that regard. Also, alot of ISP's are making the IP's they give
out non addressable (you wouldn't be able to run a web server on it
routing wise) so there is that as well.

You can check out these links for more info:

xinetd:
http://www.macsecurity.org/resources/xinetd/tutorial.shtml
http://www.synack.net/xinetd/

ipchains: