[CLUE-Talk] Xephem...

jimintriglia at americanisp.net jimintriglia at americanisp.net
Thu Jul 12 08:56:55 MDT 2001

Greetings All,

After Tom's presentation, I mentioned how important remote Imaging/GIS data has
become, to those of us that live in the Bailey/Pine/Conifer area, as in the
Summertime we are usually under the threat of being turned into toast (Wildfires).

During the Hi-Meadow fire, some Infra-Red Space imaging was provided via the
web, which was of some help to area residents that needed to find out the
progress/direction of the fire. These images lacked state/local/street map
overlays, which made the images close to useless, as one could not even
determine which way (one the image) was north.

Since that time (of the HiMeadow fire), Federal, State and Local fire/emergency
agncies have received grief from area residents, due to the lack of fire
reporting/location/progress info.

In any event, involved agencies have come together and developed GEOMAC, a very
cool, web-based 'real-time' Fire GIS graphic reporting service, which I wanted
to share with everyone:

http://geomac.usgs.gov/Public.html

I've added the link to my web site home page (for area residents). The next time
we have a fire in the area, maybe I'll be able to know and 'see' a wildfire
coming before I smell it first.

;-)

JimI.