[CLUE-Talk] Xephem...

John H Swaby polymath at uwyo.edu
Sun Jul 15 23:39:32 MDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Matt Armstrong wrote:
> Tom Poindexter <tpoindex at nyx.net> writes:
> > Last night during my GIS presentation, someone asked about software that
> > shows sunrise/sunset times.  Here's a link to Xephem, which does this and
> > much more....
> > 	http://www.ClearSkyInstitute.com/xephem/xephem.html
> > The bottom of the page lists links to RPM files for easy Linux installation.
> > Note also that Xephem is 'freely distributable', not necessarily free as
> > per a Open Source version.
> Also, much simpler and free: http://www.drwren.com/ephem/

And even easier and you already have it on GNU/Linux . . .

In EMACS, press M-x (Hold down the Meta key [left Alt] and press x or
press and release Esc, then press x), enter

  calendar

Then press S (capital s).  EMACS will show you the times for sunrise
and sunset.

Now this assumes you have a few simple elisp expressions in one of your
EMACS initialization files (either .emacs, default.el, or site-start.el).

I have these expressions in my site-start.el file:

  (setq calendar-latitude 39.7)
  (setq calendar-longitude -104.9)
  (setq calendar-location-name "Aurora, CO")

-- John

E xtensible
M odifiable
A lgorithmic