[CLUE-Talk] eBooks...

Jeffery Cann jccann at home.com
Thu Jul 19 21:09:07 MDT 2001

Greetings CLUBies,

How distressing is the DMCA - Digital Millenium Copyright Act?  Just like
DeCSS, another 'hacker' was arrested by the U.S. FBI for violating the DMCA.
There are a number of links, but this Las Vegas Sun article provides details:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/lv-crime/2001/jul/18/512096646.html

Here is an interesting article that is written from the perspective of the
eBook publishers:

http://www.ebookweb.org/opinion/roger.sperberg.20010712.aebpr.htm

The problem, IMHO with the DMCA with respect to eBooks is that publishers
want to take away the rights you currently have with paper books.  For
example, it is difficult to 'lend' an eBook; however, it is simple and easy
for me to lend you any paper book.

Another problem is that the DMCA makes it ILLEGAL FOR ANYONE IN THE UNITED
STATES to posses programs like the AEBPR program (for which the Russian
'hacker' was arrested) .  The program removes the Adobe eBook 'security'
(term used loosely).

An even bigger problem with the DMCA is the lack of due process.  As in the
DeCSS case, Adobe sucessfully alleged and pressured the web hosting providers
of Elcomsoft (makers of AEBPR) to force their web site to shut down.  This
happened more than once.

Isn't it nice to think that the DMCA removes the idea of 'innocent until
proven guilty'?

Will the eBook restrictions slow the adoption of eBooks?  In our generation,
I think they will.  However, our children (and future generations) are at
risk. They will grow up in a digital world.  They will not know the
difference between eBooks and 'real' books.  They will not know that they
have lost their rights.  That their government (acting on our behalf) has
sold all of them down the river in return for political gain (I'm referring
to the DMCA).

Unfortunately, we humans have become (in general) too lazy and apathetic
to do anything about the constant erosion of our personal rights.  Rights
given away under the guise of 'piracy protection'.  I am personally sickened
by these charades, but I am unsure where to direct my energy to 'do
something'.  I am aware of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- -http://www.eff.org and its fight for our on-line rights.  Anyone can make a
donation.

Do other CLUEbies have resources for fighting the abhorrent DMCA?

Jeff