[CLUE-Talk] O'Reilly Open Source Convention report - Tues. 7/25

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Tue Jul 24 22:49:55 MDT 2001

Here's a quick report on my short day at OSCON, after an late afternoon
arrival.

Attendance seems to be down somewhat from some folks that I've talked to.
Tomorrow morning is the first keynote speaker (Monday and Tuesday were for
tutorial sessions), so I'll get a better judge of attendance in the grand
ballroom.

Tonight I attended a few BOF (Birds of a Feather) sessions, one on the
Python Package Manager, and another on CVS futures.  Neither seemed to be
well attended (10-20 people), and not really too much of interest in either.
More BOF's over the next two days.

Larry Wall's "State of the Onion" talk was also tonight.  Larry changed from
his previous addresses and actually spoke about Perl, mainly Perl 6.  His
delivery was very rushed, having only 30 minutes, and he read from a prepared
text.  His address will probably be on DDJ Technetcast, or at least in
transcript form.  If you haven't seen the changes coming to Perl 6, I would
advise you to look for the Perl Porters notes from perl.com to see the
extent of changes coming in Perl 6.

Last was a round of beers and pool games with some folks I know from
previous Tcl/Tk conferences.  Networking with folks you know and may have
seen software or postings from is for me the highlights of these large
conferences.

-Tom

--
Tom Poindexter