[CLUE-Talk] Newbie looking for Linux (Mandrake?) help

Jeffery Cann jccann at home.com
Sat Jun 23 17:12:12 MDT 2001

Jim,

As a VB programmer, you might want to check out Borland's Kylix product for
Linux:  http://www.borland.com/kylix

Now, onto the cd rom stuff.

The /dev/cdrom is not a real device.  It is a link to the actual device.  If
you have a standard cdrom (ATAPI), then the cdrom is one of these devices
/dev/hda
/dev/hdb
/dev/hdc
/dev/hdb

Check that your /dev/cdrom link is pointed to the correct hd device.  In my
case, my /dev/cdrom link is set to /dev/hdc.

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            8 Nov 28  1999 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

It could be that during installation of Mandrake (I am guessing) that the
install program either did not set the link between /dev/cdrom and your cdrom
device or set it incorrectly.

Check that out and let us know if it worked!
Jeff

P.S.  Your system clock shows that you are operating in 1997!