[CLUE-Talk] Living in Denver as a Computer Programmer

Jim Intriglia jimintriglia at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 11 23:20:36 MST 2001

>From: matt at lickey.com (Matt Armstrong)
>To: clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us
>Subject: [CLUE-Talk] Living in Denver as a Computer Programmer
>Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:16:01 -0800
>
>Please accept my apologies for this being off topic, as this is only
>slightly related to Linux.  But I can think of no other group more
>appropriate to ask this of than a bunch of Linux users!  I don't know
>anyone tech savy in the Denver area.
>
>I'm looking into relocating to Denver, and getting a job programming
>computers (C, C++, perl, embedded systems, pretty broad, general
>experience).
>
>Is there any particular part of Denver that could be considered a "tech
>center" for jobs?  I'd like the house I buy to be close to most jobs, if
>possible.

Downtown Denver, Denver Tech Center, Interlocken to name some of the major
Denver-Metro areas for tech jobs. Boulder (north of Denver) has some really
neat opportunites for techies if you don't mind the 1 1/2 hour commute.

As long as your programming skills are current, and you can work for what
local employers are presently offering, with respect to
responsibilities/duties, hours expected per week & salary/benefits, you
should be in good shape.

The median price of housing in metro-Denver is around $250K or so these
days, up from $91K when I relocated here in 1991. I would read some local
jobs descriptions, paying attention to responsibilities, salary/benefits and
then compare to your lifestyle and cost of living needs to what you
presently have. Don't go on the low unemployment figure here (2.9% for 2001
projected) alone as a promise of many job offers that will meet your needs
and expenses.

>Also, is the tech job market in Denver hot or cool or in the middle?

Well, being that I was layed-off Jan 5th, my answer to your question would
be a bit biased ;-)

>I'm coming from the San Francisco Bay Area, where I have basically no
>fear of ever having difficulty finding a job.  I'm wondering how Denver
>compares.  I hear there have been a lot of telecom layoffs lately.

I would say for programmers with current hot market skills, you have pretty
much a pick of job options.  If your skills are outdated, get them
up-to-speed, because employers are not real willing to train anyone (which
has something to do with why there is a 'IT pro shortage', IMHO).
Programming experience is no substitute for current programming skills BTW.

In todays' Denver Post, there are a couple of stories of how Colorado is
exporting computer programming jobs and jobs in general overseas, to places
like India and Northern Ireland. That trend continues nationwide, as
companies seek sources of cheaper labor than here in the USA. Some companies
refuse to pay IT pros at the current market rates despite their needs, so
they seek cheap labor elsewhere, regardless of the needs or added expense to
do so. If jobs are good by you, may be wise to sit tight for a while.

>How does this relate to Linux?  I'd ideally like a job dealing with
>Linux!  Failing that, should I relocate there would at least be one more
>Linux based home network and web page running off a DSL line in Denver.
>;-)
>

>--
>matt

I see you've subscribed to Clue-Jobs - good! We post Linux/OS jobs weekly
(check previous messages). As more Clue-Job'ers begin posting jobs (both
those public advertised as well as internal to their organization) we should
get a better feel of reality as far as the local job market is concerned.

Also, check Mojolin.com for Linux/OS jobs nationwide.

best regards,

Jim Intriglia
www.JimIntriglia.com
News and Resources for