[CLUE-Talk] Announcement: CLUE Dev

Jeffery C. Cann jccann at home.com
Sun Mar 11 22:27:31 MST 2001

Greetings.

This weekend, I created the 'CLUE Dev' email list.  This list is dedicated to
communication about the development of the CLUE web site.

Currently, the CLUE web site is a collection of static pages.  I recently
converted them to PHP pages from HTMLPP <http://www.imatix.com/htmlpp> (a
great PERL script that generates HTML).

We would like the CLUE web site to be dynamic.  Our admin members would like
to use HTML forms to update information and have it appear on our site.  For
example, meeting prizes, presentation abstracts, and news & notes can be
stored in a database and then displayed on the web site dynamically.  In
addition, we would like to build a members area / directory, where Cluebies
can upload tips and tricks and other information that they would like to
share with fellow clue members.  We also need a search engine!

We looked around at some of the content applications build in PHP.  Most are
along the lines of slashdot.  I decided against plugging in a content
application for two reasons:

1.  They don't have exactly the features we need, so we would have had to
code some things.

2.  Being a developer, I thought it would be fun to code one that is specific
to our needs.

Also, some folks asked about a Java environment.  I think Java web
development in JSP/Servlet environment is a lot of fun, but something about
PHP makes it more fun to me!  There is also (IMHO) a lower barrier of entry
for PHP.  If you have coded in PERL, or UNIX shell, PHP will be a fairly
painless transition.  Our PHP code will be object-oriented, so OO folks can
get their reusability / extensibility fix as needed.

So, I opted for the Linux-centric PHP/Apache/MySQL model because it is
attractive and enjoyable environment for Linux enthusiasts (Hey, 6 million
web sites can't be wrong, right?)

We have embarked on building a truly dynamic web site.  I am in the process
of creating an infrastructure that will help to guide the development team.
So far, I have configured/created the following components:

0.  CLUE-Dev email list.  This is where all discussion for the development
team will take place.  Lurkers are welcome.   Developer volunteers are
required to join.

1.  CVS repository.  This holds the 'website' project on our
clue.denver.co.us server.  Refer to
http://clue.denver.co.us/siteDevelopment.html for information on anonymous
access.

2.  CLUEDB.  These are the tables for the CLUE database.  The SQL scripts are
stored in the 'website' CVS project in the 'sql' sub-directory.

Ian and Jim have tested of the existing components (thanks, guys!) and both
will be on the development team.  The next infrastructure component will be
the PHP database interface classes and an example form that we can use for
building the admin and members area forms.

After the PHP database interface is in place (in the next week or so) and an
example form (probably the admin login form), we will be ready to dole out
coding projects to CLUE members.

So far Jim and Ian have been ready and willing to code.  My role will to
facilitate and lead the team as we build our new, super-cool web site.  Of
course, I will also code when possible!

If you are interested and willing to help out, please contact me via email or
at the upcoming CLUE meeting on Tuesday.

If you are a code newbie, and are willing to learn, do not fret because we
probably have something that you can cut your teeth on.

For our more career-oriented Cluebies, this type of project is another line
on the resume.

For our artist-oriented cluebies, we really need some help with images.

Finally, to be a volunteer developer you need the following:

0.  Join the 'CLUE-Dev' email list, visit the following web page:
1.  A working Linux box (distro choice does not matter).
2.  A working Internet connection (required for CVS access).
3.  CVS client (command line is fine).
4.  MySQL installation on your machine.
5.  Apache installation on your machine.
6.  PHP 4.x installation on your machine.

To respondants, I will email out a list of links of tutorials in the
PHP/MySQL/Apache environment.

Later,
Jeff