[CLUE-Talk] Trying Out Debian

Grant Johnson Grant.Johnson at MetroIS.com
Thu Mar 15 14:36:00 MST 2001

I am doing this on SuSE, but it is not distribution dependent.  The only
thing is that you may need to move around the home directory in single user
mode.

What I did was:
1)  Install.
2)  Add my new drive, and tell BIOS not to look there.
3) fdisk
4) mkfs
5) mounted the new drive at /tmphome
6) cp'ed everything.  There are some options on cp to make sure it does all
of the hidden files, recurses directories, sticks to one physical device,
copies sym links as symlinks, and not real files, etc.
7) rebooted into single user mode (init S or init 1)
8) remounted the file systems read/write
9) mv'ed /home to /oldhome
10) edited fstab to tell it to mount the new drive as /home
11) did a full reboot to make sure everything showed up as wanted.
12) Once I was sure all was OK (about a week later) I typed rm -Rf /oldhome