[CLUE-Talk] Trying Out Debian

Matt Armstrong matt at lickey.com
Fri Mar 16 10:15:38 MST 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 04:00:58PM -0700, Matthew Porter wrote:
> Question:  If the only 'net connection I have is a dialup, will it
> still be practical to do things like "apt-get upgrade" (or "apt-get
> install foo") from an online archive?  Or will I need upgrade CDs?
>
>  --Matt.

Sure, that is how most people did it in the pre-dsl pre-cable-modem era.
;-) A debian package is approx. the same size as an RPM.

For sanity, I'd recommend getting a CD for the major upgrades.  They are
so cheap anyway, and turn an overnight download (or multi-night, if your
connection drops) into a few minutes.

For following the security updates, the modem will be fine.

--
matt