[CLUE-Talk] Slackup

Don Collier collierd at email.com
Wed Mar 21 11:02:06 MST 2001

I just ran across this in a Slackware news group.  Sorry if you have
heard about this before.  If not, here you go.

slackUp is a Slackware upgrade utility. It's main function is to check
the current packages that exist on the system, and then to download any
updates to them. slackUp has the option to just download, or to download
and automatically install the packages once the download is complete.
This allows for upgrading on the fly. Aside from upgrading packages,
slackUp also has an additional feature which allows you to download and
install third party Slackware packages, simply by providing the name and
version number of the package. To demonstrate the ease of use, here are
a couple of examples:
The following options to slackUp will download all updates to the
packages installed on the system and auto-install them:
slackUp -a -u

The following options to slackUp will download foo-2.4 and install it on
the system:
slackUp -a -g foo-2.4

You can even specify which server you want to download your packages
from:
slackUp -aul ftp://ftp.somesite.org/slackware-current/slakware

The slackUp project was started because of the lack of an auto-upgrade
utility for Slackware Linux. Slackware is an awesome distribution but
because of it's unability to provide a quick and easy upgrade solution,
many people are being turned off by it. This is a shame, and so
hopefully the Slackware team is working on an official release. Until
then, slackUp will hopefully fill in for it.

Here is the link to the website.  I am still at work, but I am going to
try this as soon as I get home.  I will let you know how it works out.

http://xfactor.itec.yorku.ca/~xconsole/download.html

--
Don Collier
collierd at email.com