[CLUE-Talk] Preventing Hack Attempts before they Happen

Mark Horning rip6 at rip6.net
Sat May 12 21:36:20 MDT 2001

R Frank wrote:
<snip>

> Wish I knew more about this.  I checked my logs and there are 88 different
> IP addresses being blocked, most as a result of scans to port 111.  Am I
> wrong in thinking that such scans are not evidence of a would-be hacker?
> There is a burst of activity on May 7th against my port 119, and the
> machine reported it went into "stealth listening mode" on that port
> at that time.  But as far as which IP addresses to deny, I'm not sure
> which are real threats and which are innocuous port scans.

111 could also be people who have yp running on their box
and it's broadcasting to the world. Yesterday someone at
24.1.13.161 was filling my log file. I determined that it
was someone with debian installed who is just waiting to
be hacked and denied the ip so's my logs wouldn't become
overwhelmed.
I only have 7 ports open but I tend to monitor a few that
I have closed to try to detect anyone with bad intent...

Mark

--

Mark Horning
rip6 at rip6.net