[CLUE-Talk] What's with Microsoft's upgrade ultimatum?

David Anselmi anselmi at intradenver.net
Tue May 15 22:04:11 MDT 2001

Why shouldn't MS license their software on an annual basis?  Other big
packages (Oracle?) are done that way.  They (and most commercial
software companies) have been selling licenses (right to use the
software under their terms) for a long time.  Buying a CD with software
on it is different than buying a book, or even a music CD.  Maybe now
people will start to realize that.

At work, a tool we use is now owned by a new company.  We want to
upgrade it, but the licensing terms are different (who do you suppose
gets the short end?)  Seems that Oracle did a change like that a few
years ago too - they now license by CPU MHz (because they get more money
that way, of course).  Yet another advantage of open source - I don't
know what my Oracle license will cost next year, but I'm damn sure of my
Apache one.