[CLUE-Talk] What's with Microsoft's upgrade ultimatum?

David Anselmi anselmi at intradenver.net
Thu May 17 09:14:13 MDT 2001

I'm sorry, did you say I'm a PHB with a pea brain?  Or did you mean I have a PHB
and he has a pea brain?  Either way it's very funny <LOL> :-)

My Oracle example is perhaps inaccurate.  We use it at work.  I've been told that
it's been a year so it's time to renew our licenses.  Maybe they meant it's time
to renew our support contracts (heaven knows we couldn't run the stuff without
support, no matter how much we pay our DBA).  I'm sure others have commented on
the folly of running your business on apps that don't run without support.  But
if you *need* support to use an app, and the price changes every year for the
support you buy, you still have no control over your expenses.  Or at least less
control than you get over free software.

Here's the difference between software and a book.  A book has a copyright.  I
can't reproduce it to sell or give away although some copying is legal.  I can
give loan it, sell it, or give it away.  Software has a license.  They all pretty
much say 'if you use the software you've agreed to the license'.  Here's a
paragraph from a Rational license (it happens to be handy):

"Licensee may not assign or otherwise transfer this license except upon notice,
either (a) in connection with a sale of all or substantially all Licensee’s
business assets, or (b) pursuant to a U. S. Government program awarded to
Licensee if the Product is assigned to the U.S. Government as residual property
at the end of a contract, but not under an indefinite delivery, indefinite
quantity ("IDIQ") contract or similar procurement vehicle."

In otherwords, I can't loan, sell, or give away this software.  (The physical CD
is irrelevant since the software doesn't work without the license key.)

This license does happen to say that it is perpetual, but it could just as easily
say that it's only good for a year.

Here's some more:

"4.0 TERM AND TERMINATION.  This license shall be valid from the date purchased
by Licensee and is perpetual unless terminated by mutual consent, by Licensee’s
election, or by Rational upon thirty (30) days written notice of Licensee’s
unremedied material breach of this Agreement.  In the event of any termination of
this Agreement, Licensee will immediately return to Rational all copies of the
Product and other Rational provided materials and certify to Rational that any
and all copies of the Product have been erased from computer memory."

Once I decide to terminate this agreement, all materials go back to Rational.  I
*DO NOT* own any of this.  I 'bought' an agreement, nothing more.

Now whether these 5 pages of jargon are legally binding or just brainwashing,
I'll never know, unless I go to court (well, maybe someone else has been to
court).

Don't get me wrong.  I am 100% behind OSS, because commercial stuff has terms
like the above.  My point was that if everyone knew what a raw deal they were
getting, perhaps they'd force a change.  Probably not though, the PHBs make money
anyway so why rock the boat.

I agree with your assessment of 'support' for commercial software.  I talked to a
Sybase contractor this week and he had pretty much the same story.

Dave