[CLUE-Talk] Microsoft settlement

MaziFarhang mazikhan at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 11:39:56 MST 2001

Thank you for the post about the attorney generals to contact.  Just so that you know the scale of the uphill battle that we face, and the ignorance (or maybe apathy) of the public at large regarding the public policy ramifications of this decision, one ought to take a look at the site vote.com, where people vote for different issues and these are forwarded to decision makers.  The following is the link for the subject at hand:
http://www.vote.com/vResults/index.phtml?cat=6834297

FYI, of about a thousand voters, 76% have voted in favor of the settlement (all MS employees??).  These are people who have at least sufficient knowledge to connect to the Internet, and thus probably better educated (and probably tech-savvy) than the population at large.  This does not bode well for the rest of us.

I suggest, however, that we also get our voices heard.  That we suggest to our fellow user group members to vet their opinion.  At the very least, vote.com makes it easy to make some kind of stand with a minimal amount of effort (they do require an email and a zip code to register).  If you think that this is a good idea, then please pass it on to other user groups.

Best regards

Mazi.