[CLUE-Talk] Installfest

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at home.com
Sun Nov 25 16:47:17 MST 2001

On 11-21 13:16, Ed Hill wrote:

> Todd A. Gibson wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> > How often are the installfests scheduled?  I have a student who needs
> > help installing Linux on a new box he acquired.  From his description,
> > it sounds like he probably has a video card that doesn't (yet) have an
> > adequate driver (I don't have the video card make/model yet).  Anyway, I
> > told him I'd look into options on getting him help and installfest was
> > the first thing that came to mind.
>
> If the next installfest is too far off in the future, I'll configure
> it for a six-pack of Fat Tire...  ;-)
>
> Seriously, though, which card (chipset) is it?

I was wondering the same. Recently, my W2K box died quite suddenly...not
having the install media handy, I decided this was a sign to ween myself
from Windows (I use Linux for firewall, and FreeBSD box for mail and news,
but my chief desktop has always been NT 3.51/4.0/5.0). So I installed
FreeBSD 4.4.

By default, the XFree86 is 3.3.6 (I think) but there is also another package
in there for 4.1.0.6. Anyway, I was having some issues getting my card to
work under 3.3.6, so I put on 4.1.0.6 and used X -configure, and it wrote a
decent XF86Config. I think I only had to add the right default color depth
to use and a line for the scrollwheel. Looks like XFree86 got rid of
XF86Setup, and replaced with this method. Seems to work okay, at least this
time. My card is a kind of odd one, apparently support was sketchy in the
past. It's an ATI Rage 128 AGP card.

All this being said, now I want to try out some of the features X 4 has; the
major one being anti-aliased fonts. I'm using KDE, does anyone have any
experiences with this? Also, I'm trying to figure out if I have 3D support
enabled in X yet, and if not how?  The GL screensavers don't work, in any
case....

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at home.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome