[CLUE-Talk] Warning: set rant mode = true... was: Ah, yes: the much-vaunted Microsoft security

Jeffery Cann jccann at home.com
Sun Oct 28 09:32:04 MST 2001

B-

<rant>
Is anyone actually surprized at the folly of Redmond trying to produce a
'secure' environment?  When even Gartner Group (a microsoft lackey)
recommends that (after 5 years of security problems) that companies should
not use IIS, things are getting interesting.

I heard a great editorial on NPR on Friday on the topic of M$ passport.  The
comments were lucid and spoke directly to the scary temptation of M$ to use
your personal (passport) data to make money (selling it to mass-marketers).
Does anyone think that M$ passport database will not be hacked repeatedly?
BTW - If you use an MSN account, you are _already_ in the passport database.
Want to trust M$ to keep your credit card number and information safe just so
you can 'check out' of commerce web sites faster?  I do not.  I will boycott
all sites that implement .net and passport authentication for commerce.  I
encourage you to do the same.

Microsoft has shown an utter lack of understanding of even basic security
principles.  Sure, their 'chief security officer' will warn that XP 'is not
ready' (from a security standpoint).  These warnings do not stop the sales /
marketing phenomenon of Redmond to even take pause to consider the
ramifications.  They care about money, making a lot of it - at the expense of
all humans worldwide.

I am waiting for the first year of XP to exist in general release to watch in
hope that the market will finally reject the M$ monopoly in favor of open
systems.

I fear for Microsoft, as the Emperor's clothes are not just fraying, but
tearing.  I hope they soon will be off!
</rant>

Later,
Jeff