[CLUE-Talk] Intro to Unix book.

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Mon Oct 29 11:34:40 MST 2001

Hoping it's not too late to answer this question one more time...  The LJ
2001 Reader's Choice awards went to:

* in a Nutshell
Running *
* System Administration

-----Original Message-----
From: clue-talk-admin at clue.denver.co.us
[mailto:clue-talk-admin at clue.denver.co.us]On Behalf Of BOF
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 6:48 PM
To: clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Talk] Intro to Unix book.

Dave Anselmi wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good book to introduce people to Unix?  I have
> several friends and family who would like to learn, but aren't technical
> (some can handle a command line, some are just point and click).

I can recommend "Your Unix: the Ultimate Guide" by Sumitabha Das (ISBN
0-07-240500-7), about $35 from www.bookpool.com, and "Unix for the
Impatient" by Paul Abrahams and Bruce Larson (I0-201-82376-4), about $30
(without the CD, which is a searchable on-line copy of the book and which
increases the price $20, and cannot be read under Linux anyway).

Das's book is a college text, but still quite readable for all that, and
very thorough. Abraham's is supposedly a classic reference-type book, with
a lot of overlap with Das's, but in more detail.

BOF