[CLUE-Talk] Calculating the cost of converting to WinXP

B O'Fallon bof at pcisys.net
Mon Sep 10 09:12:37 MDT 2001

This is a link to an interactive page prepared by Forbes to help
calculate the cost of converting to Windows XP.

It's rather frightening: according to it, to convert the five systems
I have in my home office would cost over $23,000, most of that $18,000
in engineering costs. But even so, to spend over $5,000 to buy the
software and replace three systems completely that currently can
handle NT 4 is absurd. While it may be good for MS,  I can't afford
this every two or three years.

Which is why I run Linux/FreeBSD on all but one of my systems, and
even it dual boots into NT and Slackware.

http://xproi.forbes.com/forbesroi.asp?v=1&r=5,1,20,0,0,20,-1,-1,-1,0,20,80,0&a=260,150,463,279,2500,1200,150,2,1,2,1,50,30,50,20,30,30,60,60,30,60,46.666666666666664,25,35

BOF