[CLUE-Talk] MATA

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Tue Sep 25 14:17:40 MDT 2001

The Mobilization Against Terrorism Act has grave repercussions that may
have not been yet fully considered.

The retroactive removal of statute of limitations and increase in
punishment for unauthorized computer access could cause undue stress on
our economic system as well as our prison system.  Singling out this one
tool is the action of a select few who fear what they do not understand.
 A computer is a tool, nothing more.  Several years ago, there were a
series of murders in Aurora using a hammer.  Does this now mean that
anyone using a hammer to break into a home is now guilty of a crime
equal to murder?  No.  They are guilty of breaking and entering.  These
retroactive changes may make productive citizens guilty of only a single
prank decades ago now candidates for life terms in federal prison.

The new restrictions put on cryptography will only hamper commerce while
not affecting terrorists.  They already murder.  They are willing to die
as suicide bombers.  Do you think they will mind breaking this little
statute as well?  However, legitimate businesses attempting to make
transactions containing sensitive information across a public network
will care about breaking the law.  The companies here who make the
software will go under, as their product is now illegal, and those who
want it will simply purchase it from other countries.  The concept of
requiring back doors into commercial encryption stinks of fascism.
 Those with something to hide will simply refer to things in a vague
enough manner to avoid detection.  Remember the effectiveness of the
"code talkers?"

The increased surveillance of electronic communications amounts to
nothing less than unreasonable search and seizure.  The same laws must
apply to wire taps and the government intercepting postal mail as apply
to intercepting electronic communications.

Please do not forget what this country was founded on.  The personal
liberty and privacy of its citizens, the freedom from taxation without
representation, and most importantly, the freedom to hold on to whatever
beliefs you wish as long as your actions do not harm others.  How better
to describe our freedoms of speech and religion?  These freedoms are
what has made America great.  Do not destroy them.

Freedom is expensive.  The price is often less security.  I am willing
to pay that price.  What value is living my life without freedom?  I am
willing to risk death to have life worth living.  I am a veteran of our
armed services. I spent six years in the Marine Corps, ironically giving
up my freedom to protect that of my countrymen.   I understand that
there is a very real cost for our society and its freedom.  Those who
wish security in exchange for freedom are free to leave.

Grant Johnson
922 S Crystal Way Apt 201
Aurora, CO 80012