[CLUE-Talk] An example of how the DMCA took your rights

Jeffery Cann jccann at home.com
Thu Sep 27 14:41:49 MDT 2001

Greetings.

The following article discusses two lawsuits that would allow music consumers (you and I) to program / personalize music broadcast over the internwet.

Thanks to the DMCA, this is actually illegal.  I hope the RIAA will lose both of these lawsuits, but this seems unlikely.

How did this happen?  Our beloved Representatives sold consumer freedom and choice down the river with the passage of the DMCA, which in part:

"Under Section 114 of the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Webcasters can play copyrighted music over the Internet as long as they pay standard royalties and meet certain criteria -- including ensuring that broadcasts are not interactive."

Notice that the DMCA makes it illegal to play copyrighted music over the internet - EVEN IF YOU PAY ROYALITIES - unless you INSURE THAT BROADCASTS ARE NOT INTERACTIVE.

http://biz.yahoo.com/law/010927/65896-6.html

What can you do to?  Write your representatives and disclose your opinion!

Jeff
--
Protect On-Line Free Speech!
http://www.eff.org/support/join.html