[CLUE-Talk] The Microsoft penalty that isn't - Tech News - CNET.com

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 17 09:17:48 MDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Randy Arabie wrote:

> Am I understanding this correctly...in that SAMBA will not work
> with future versions of Windows?  The ONLY way to access files
> on a Windows fileserver will be from a Windows client?

It depends on what the lawyers consulting with the Samba folks
say. And whether the judge in the antitrust case allows this.
I think she still has to approve the provision that sparked this.
I hope that she will not.

> If so...WOW!  Microsoft is basically saying, "No more heterogenous
> environments" (AFA network filesystems go).  I think that is a
> really BIG mistake.

No, they're saying "no more heterogenous environments that do not
result in revenues for Microsoft, or that help propigate GPL'ed
software."

I still think it's a big mistake, when will their customers learn?

> Of course, the same thing is gonna be true with .NET.  The ONLY
> way to access .NET services will be from IE.

No, they've agreed to build .NET services for the Mac - just development
tools are limited to Windows.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net